Finding a bitcoin transaction ID (TXID)
Once you've sent a bitcoin payment from Wirex to an external bitcoin address, transfer details (such as amount of BTC sent, sending/receiving bitcoin address, the date of transfer) can be found on the blockchain. This information is then publicly available and given its own transaction ID - or TXID.
At times, the recipient of your bitcoin transfer may request this transaction ID from you - typically to confirm you've sent the payment successfully. This transaction ID is safe to share: no personal information is sent from your Wirex account to the blockchain.
How to find the transaction ID
- Visit blockchain.info or an alternative public blockchain explorer to view and search all previous bitcoin payments made on the blockchain.
- In the 'Search' area, you'll need to enter information that is specific to your bitcoin transaction. This is usually the bitcoin address you made the payment to.
- When you select 'search', all bitcoin transactions that involve that address will be displayed, newest to oldest.
- The easiest way to navigate to your particular transaction is to use your browser's 'Find' feature to search for the exact bitcoin amount you sent. This is usually under 'Edit > Find', or you can use the keyboard shortcut Command + F (macOS) or Control + F (Windows).
- Once you have located your transaction, the transaction ID is displayed as a long string of letters and numbers in the grey bar above the transaction amount
- To view the full details of the bitcoin payment, click the transaction ID link.
Why are there multiple transactions under one TXID?
Sometimes multiple transactions are made under one TXID. This is also known as multiple output transactions. Multiple output transactions are common when sending funds directly from a pool or third-party application. When Shapeshift (an exchange service for converting between blockchain tokens and coins) processes this, it creates several deposits associated with one TXID.
This type of transaction can potentially result in two or more deposits being associated with the same TXID. In this case, our system would detect only the first deposit associated to the TXID. For this reason, multiple output transactions are not compatible with Shapeshift.
To guarantee your transaction, please make sure you send your funds from the mining pool to your personal wallet first (bitcoin or altcoin) and then depositing funds to Shapeshift from there.
If you believe you have deposited funds in a multiple output transaction, please contact our support team to have the matter resolved.
Have more questions? Submit a request