Is Wirex account secure?
Yes, your Wirex account is secure.
Security of our user funds is a top priority for us. We have built a secure and trustful platform employing the latest security technology in the blockchain and financial industry. Here are some main features:
- SSL. Wirex uses 256-bit SSL for all communications between server and web browser, which completely eliminates the possibility of "man in the middle attack". SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral.
- Confirmation through email address. Your Wirex account is linked to your mailbox. Any card-related information or fund-sensitive confirmation emails will be sent to your email address. Therefore, if a hacker manages to access your Wirex account, they will only be able to perform a limited number of actions, none of which includes sending your funds outside of your Wirex account. We strongly recommend you to have different passwords for your Wirex account and Wirex-linked mailbox.
- Enhanced security / Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). 2FA is an extra layer of security that requires not only a password and username but also something that only that user and no one else has on them, i.e. a piece of information only they should know or have immediately at hand - such as a physical token. Read our Help Center article about 2-factor authentication for more details. To make your account more secure, we recommend you to enable 2FA for both for your Wirex account and your Wirex-linked e-mail account.
- Multi-signature technology. All wallets in our system are protected by BitGo's multi-signature technology. This technology makes it impossible to transfer funds without the transaction being signed by all parties involved. Every Wirex user has their own 2-3 multi-sig bitcoin wallet with a unique set of private keys (every key is encrypted with a strong password and backup key is stored completely offline); we work closely with BitGo, the world leader in blockchain security, to ensure that funds are kept securely and our wallet infrastructure is audited on regular basis. Read more about 2-3 wallets on BitGo's official site.
- Microservice architecture. Wirex employs micro service architecture, where every service has its own set of access rights and is responsible for one operation. Every wallet operation is restricted by IP and can be done by Wirex micro service only. Microservice architecture eliminates the single point of failure and makes it is almost impossible for an attacker to get full control of user wallet.
- Policies. Wirex's sophisticated wallet policies and analysis tools can easily detect unusual behaviour e.g. withdrawal of big amounts, many wallet operations happening during a short time frame, etc...
- Personal wallet. We don't hold customer funds in one hot wallet (you would be surprised how many services out there do just that); instead, every customer is allocated a personal wallet. This ensures that the funds belong to you and nobody else. Every personal wallet is issued with 3 keys, generated and stored on different devices with different access policies and analysis tools, providing increased security and advanced fraud protection.
- No access to your card details. Wirex doesn't keep any payment card numbers, expiry date or CVV codes. Instead, Wirex operates with card proxies, which means that all data is kept securely with our bank and none of Wirex employees has access to it.
- Support awareness. We take your security very seriously, so we perform thorough verification when we receive requests to disable two-factor authentication, change of email address or any changes to the account. Account related requests can only be addressed by our Support Team if initiated from your Wirex-linked e-mail address.
Have more questions? Submit a request