Why you need to verify your identity and how to do it
This article explains:
- The documents needed to verify your Wirex account
- The simple steps for submitting those verification documents
What Is Identity Verification?
Identity verification is the process of submitting photographic identification documentation (ID) to confirm the personal information you submit to Wirex.
You need to verify your identity if you wish to benefit from:
✓ Contactless payment cards in GBP, USD, EUR
✓ Instant exchange of crypto to fiat
✓ Instant cryptocurrency purchases
✓ Cryptoback™ - 0.5% back in bitcoin on all in-store purchases
✓ ATM сash withdrawals using the Wirex payment card
NOTE: Due to regulatory requirements, you may be required to re-verify your documents periodically.
You need to upload a Proof of Identity (POI) document. It should match the Personal Information you supplied when applying for your Wirex account.
Your POI should be a valid government-issued document. It must contain:
- your full name
- date of birth (DOB)
- your photo
- expiration or validity date
High-quality images of any one of the following documents are acceptable:
- a valid government-issued passport (only page with MRZ code);
- a valid government-issued identity card (both sides);
- a valid government-issued driver's license (both sides);
- for non-resident aliens: a residence card.
How to upload your POI document
To verify your Wirex account, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your Wirex account.
- When it's time to verify your identity, you will be automatically redirected from the Dashboard to the Verify your identity screen.
- Tap Verify Identity.
- On the Confirm personal information screen, complete the fields, check them for accuracy and tap Next.
- On the Confirm mobile phone screen, enter your mobile phone number and confirm it using the SMS code we send to the number you register.
- On the Identity verification screen, tap Choose document and select the document you'd like to provide for verification.
- Take a photo of your POI document. Check that the image of your document is not blurred, does not show any glare and is not cropped, such that all details are clearly readable. If you need to retake the photo, tap Take a new picture. Once you are satisfied that the picture of your POI is clear and fully readable, tap My document is readable to submit the image.
- On the next Selfie verification screen, tap Take a selfie. Make sure your selfie clearly shows your whole face. If you need to retake the photo, tap Take a new picture. Once you are satisfied that your selfie clearly shows your whole face, tap Confirm my selfie to submit the image.
- You will see a submission confirmation. This means your documents were successfully submitted for processing.
You can also verify your identity beforehand. Navigate to the Getting Started section on the left → click Get Verified. Alternatively, you can click on your name in the top-right corner → Profile → Verify my Profile.
Verification is usually completed within 5 minutes, although it may take longer in certain cases. Once your documents are verified (or rejected), you will receive an email and in-app notification.
Have more questions? Submit a request